This is my third such honour and I’m embarrassed to say that my second VBA went unanswered (since September 19 of this year)… until now. Do visit Cecelia Futch’s blog, Inspired Vision. She really makes you feel like you’re part of her life as she opens up about family, her life in a new location, and the tribulations and the simple joys of life. She really makes you feel like you’re sitting across the table from her sharing a few minutes and catching up on what has been going on since you last saw her. She takes a mean photo, too!
That west-coast blogging dynamo and Canada’s answer to Elly May Clampett, The Redneck Princess, was the first to nominate me for this honour in September by sticking my name, my IP address, and my earmuff size in an old Waylon Jennings cassette box and heaving it at an out-of-country tax evader who frequently stops by where she works to “mean mouth” the staff and try to fraudulently unload weathered lawn plumbing that she didn’t even buy there. If you’ve read my acceptance post to that first VBA, you’ll notice that I stole the first line of this paragraph from myself.
Confused? Not as confused as I am as to why I’ve been nominated for one Versatile Blogger Award, let alone three. Lately I’ve been a rather poor “blog buddy” in that I have not been reading others’ blogs or vandalizing people’s comments sections. I have had some of that force which is most destructive to bloggers seep into my life, that negative blogging energy being stuff going on in the real world.
Any of you who have read my blog to any extent, and anyone who knows me in the Real World, have indubitably come to the conclusion that reality and I don’t get along very well. Even in my posts that tap dance around real topics about real things, like my Recumbent Reviews, I don’t like to be anchored too much to that evil and constraining gremlin called reality.
I’m feeling a little guilty over being nominated but not having contributed much lately, like a high school kid who had been caught by the vice-principal trying to get back into school after cutting fourth period History class with pizza juices all over his face and looking desperately for an excuse. I cannot find an excuse but I’ve had my reasons for being “absent” from blogging… my wife has been laid off so now she is around all the time so now whenever I want to do something, a plate of food arrives along with a long conversation about what we have to do as soon as I finish eating. And then I speak with her grand-niece for about an hour and a half almost every day to help her with her English, I’ve had a couple of photo jobs lately, and I got a second printer and have been testing the various papers I use and setting up colour management policies (The good news: the new printer is up and running with an operator semi-confident in producing predictable results. The bad news: because I didn’t bother to use strict colour management techniques with the old printer but used a self-styled method of getting good results on the old printer, the old printer is not outputting as predictably as before…*sigh*). Not only that but with Christmas just around the corner and an old friend threatening to spend a few days with us and HoaiPhai Jr. has already confirmed that he’s bringing his new girlfriend over for a few days and we have only one guest room, so I have to shovel off some floorspace to put an inflatable mattress in case my friend doesn’t like sleeping on the couch. And the bathroom and all the floors need cleaning. And I had the flu. And we still haven’t sent out our Christmas cards or mailed a package of Christmas gifts to some of the grand-nieces and grand-nephews in Korea. Oh, did I tell you I work for a living? And I work nights, which screws up the old schedule even more in that every week I have to endure the equivalent of two nine-hour jet lag sessions and I sleep most of the first of my two days off. And I’ve misplaced those little insurance papers that you’re supposed to keep in your car so even though law enforcement and the insurance industry are in bed together on good enough terms that if I get a ticket the cops send the conviction to the insurance company so my rates go up but they’re not friendly enough for the insurance company to send my policy number and expiration date to the cops so I wouldn’t have to keep a piece of paper the size of a mouse’s Kleenex in my car at all times, I have to go pick up another one at the insurance office.
Does anyone out there have a connection for Prozac, Thorazine, or Preparation-H?
Anyways, according to the original literature, with this award comes responsibility — there are rules, and obligations, and all kinds of stuff that I don’t have the time to do right now because I went off on a major rant in the paragraph before last…
- “Thank and link to the person who nominates you.” [I’ve done this already in the first two paragraphs of this post!]
- “Share seven random facts about you.” [Covered! Please read the 5th and 6th paragraphs and if you still want to know more, write me and ask me specific questions.]
- “Pass this award on to five new blogging friends.” [Aw, crumbs. This sounds like it’s going to take time that I don’t have. Please check out my Blogroll on the right and choose anyone who I didn’t already mention in my first VBA response, i.e. The Hook, The Hobbler, BadlandsBadley, Hippie Cahier, The Simian Monologues, The Good Greatsby, and consider them my choice. If I were to list off ten more and added the six who I gave the award to previously plus the three who nominated me, that would leave a minority of Blogrollers out and they might feel pouty or want to be mean to me, so I don’t know if I should do it. Wait a minute… maybe I’ll try to fulfil this requirement tomorrow or the next day… keep an eye out for it!]
- “Contact and congratulate the awarded bloggers.” [Will do it tomorrow or the next day!]
- Last week’s “Celebrations” photo challenge.
- A super-easy Greek recipe.
- A major rant about e-mails and the people who send them.
- A post about cooking and kitchen equipment.
- An end-of-year review (at this rate, it might be up around tax time!).
- A super special post slated for the third week of January (it’s a time-sensitive thing). It’s extremely long, even by my standards, so you might want to book time off work. It’s almost ready to go but I need to take one more photo, am trying to coordinate a time with my intended model, and I have one or two more paragraphs to write but it will be up the 18th or 19th of January.
- I’m itching to do another Recumbent Review (but haven’t even started one yet).
Have a good day and I’ll see you tomorrow!